Individual Defensive Keyway Drill
The Individual Defensive Keyway Drill is a good activity for having players practice the fundamental skill of the defensive slide. Compact in layout, the drill looks to promote activity and repetition while using only a confined space. Perfect for those coaches working with multiple teams in very close proximity. The Individual Defensive Keyway Drill looks to work on the technique of a player’s defensive slide while also varying the angle and line of movement.
When performed at a low intensity the Individual Defensive Keyway Drill can be used as a warm-up activity. However, the activity can also be used as a way to work players on their conditioning. High repetitions and intensity helps make the mundane simplicity of the drill challenging and ongoing. If used sporadically as an activity the Individual Defensive Keyway Drill can be a sort and sharp refocusing tool on the technique of player’s defensive footwork, hand positioning and overall sliding ability.
The Individual Defensive Keyway Drill starts with Athletes start lined up along baseline.
Players will enter the court at the short corner. Athletes face baseline and defensive slide across key way to double block. The athletes drop step and defensive slide to elbow.
After exiting the keyway athletes’ then closeout to the coach who is positioned at the short corner.
Athletes then mirror the ball and maintain spear hand principles, following which they rejoin the line.
Points of Emphasis
- Players must maintain low and wide stance
- All players must carry hands at all times when on the floor
- Quick footwork at the change of direction
- Players must sprint to the close-out
- During close-out the player must not come out of a stance, but remain low and ready to shift body weight on change of direction of the ball handler
- When closing out two hands contest the shot before collapsing into mirroring position
- Athletes can change form open to closed defensive stance.
- Two lines can be used so players must navigate the keyway while traffic is within the confined space
The Individual Defensive Keyway Drill looks to promote quick and sharp footwork. Players who do not display these characteristics will soon, with some work be better prepared for the demands of defensive work.